Our services and Capabilies
Our services and capabilities
Thorndon Cook Power is a trusted adviser to our clients in the power and water industry both in the Asia-Pacific region and throughout the world. We have developed a deep understanding of the specific requirements of each client because:
- our team has worked with many of the major utilities, generators, contractors, developers and government bodies
- our generation and renewable energy professionals have been involved with a wide range of the power projects in the Asia, Australia–Pacific region
- our team has experience in all parts of the sector, including with manufacturers; engineering, procurement and construction contractors; financial institutions; public and private utilities; and project developers.
We provide services across multiple disciplines:
- process design
Includes heat and mass balance, PIDs, PFDs, single and dual phase pressure drop calculations, pipe sizing, chemical dosing for silica control, etc.
- mechanical engineering
Covers design, specification, layout, inspection, installation and commissioning of all major plant and BOP equipment
- electrical engineering
Covers from concept designs through to detailed design for complete power plants in various roles as detailed designer for the EPC contractor, or owner’s engineer or lender’s technical advisor
- civil and structural engineering
civil and structural engineering
Covers civil and structural (incl. seismic design) works associated with mechanical and electrical equipment, such as plant layout, design and specification of foundations, support structures and access platforms etc
- control and instrumentation
control and instrumentation
Covers process control concepts, functional descriptions, instrument specifications, control system specification and procurement, FAT testing and commissioning.
- project/program management
Covers all areas of project implementation from planning and design, through procurement and construction, and into operations and maintenance
We are able to undertake a wide variety of roles within projects including:
- due diligence studies
due diligence studies
Assessment and identification of associated risks covering condition of infrastructures, budgets, permits, concessions and contracts, site staffing, safety and management practices, environmental compliance and permits, inputs for financial models
- conceptual engineering
- feasibility studies, including economic analysis
feasibility studies, including economic analysis
- front end engineering design
front end engineering design
- detailed design
- project planning and project management
project planning and project management
- managing supply chain risks
managing supply chain risks
- asset management
- tendering and procurement
tendering and procurement
- supplier monitoring and expediting
supplier monitoring and expediting
- site construction supervision
site construction supervision
- commissioning and start-up
commissioning and start-up
- technical assistance during operation
technical assistance during operation
- owner's engineer roles
owner's engineer roles
Technical advisory services to project owners during all phases of the projects, from the development / pre-financial close through post-financial close.
- lender's engineer roles
lender's engineer roles
Technical advisory services to project sponsors during all phases of the projects, from the development / pre-financial close through post-financial close.
- inspection service
- troubleshooting/root cause analysis
troubleshooting/root cause analysis
- specialist turbine generator overhaul services
specialist turbine generator overhaul services
A project’s ultimate success is built on the foundations created in the development phase. We supply comprehensive project development services, applying knowledge and skills from all facets of our business. Thorndon Cook Power’s early stage project development focuses on identification and quantification of critical issues impacting the project’s viability and bankability.
Our power plant development services span pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, financial and economic analyses, site-specific energy analysis, site selection and development, fuel sources and resources, demand forecast and management, transmission network integration analysis and studies in addition to environmental permitting and licensing.
Thorndon Cook Power staff also have many years industry knowledge of fuel pricing and sourcing, contracting, tariff assessment and power purchasing, energy sector forecasting, and statutory regulatory requirements.
Our design phase advice focuses on selecting a robust design solution to realise project bankability, while providing the best compromises between technical performance, constructability, equipment delivery lead times, ease of installation and staged commissioning of a new power plant.
Thorndon Cook Power’s engineering, technical and drafting resources encompass:
- conceptual engineering
- capital and operating costs estimation
capital and operating costs estimation
- tender preparation and evaluation
tender preparation and evaluation
- computer-aided design and drafting
computer-aided design and drafting
- 3D modelling and visualisation
3D modelling and visualisation
- protection, design and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)
protection, design and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)
- complete detailed design and review
complete detailed design and review
- automation and instrumentation
automation and instrumentation
- planning and permit requirements
planning and permit requirements
- construction, commissioning and operation
construction, commissioning and operation
Technical advice for financial institutions and owners
Thorndon Cook Power takes on a variety of different roles to assist owners and financial institutions. As Owner’s Engineer, Lender’s Engineer or Due Diligence Adviser, Thorndon Cook Power makes investment, commercial and technical recommendations that maximise value for our clients.
Thorndon Cook Power can identify risks so our clients can better understand and mitigate them. Thorndon Cook Power has solid exposure to different financing mechanisms, for power plants and associated equipment.
The breadth of expertise found in our network of local offices means our advice is up-to-date and in line with current industry practices. Thorndon Cook Power can also provide independent advice about:
- asset evaluation and valuation
asset evaluation and valuation
Includes benchmarking, audits and due diligence of assets, reviews of existing assets and evaluation of present value for insurance, accounting or potential investors or lenders, expenditure reviews, investment planning and prioritisation, least cost modelling, business case preparation
- plant condition and performance assessment
plant condition and performance assessment
- oversight, commissioning supervision and inspection
oversight, commissioning supervision and inspection
Engineers can work on behalf of wither Owner or contractor during the site testing and commissioning phase. Provision of lead mech, elect and C&I engineers for site team. Provision of commissioning manager
- asset management planning and support
asset management planning and support
- project management and controls
project management and controls
- project and corporate risk
project and corporate risk
Our investment services staff can also add value by advising on the commercial and economic aspects of projects and provide, where required, specialist technical and project management resources in a single integrated package.
Project and construction implementation
Thorndon Cook Power has a specialist project management capability that provides a tailored response to the size and complexity of any given project and is backed by our corporate commitment to proven quality management procedures. This means our clients can expect their plant for a power generation project will be delivered on time and within budget while maintaining the highest quality, safety, and environmental standards.
Thorndon Cook Power’s project and construction management capabilities aggregate our experience, resources and expertise in planning, engineering and management. Our specialists are skilled in procurement, scheduling and construction management and supervision, project controls, field engineering, and commissioning. We can:
- develop operations and maintenance manuals, and deliver operator training
- analyse operations and provide solutions
- manage the retrofit of old technology and assist with repowering the facility
- manage project costs, progress and schedules through all phases
- manage the complex interrelations of multidisciplinary design projects
- provide full engineering, procurement and construction management services from project inception to operation.